A quick update on the self-publishing journey:
- At this point, my digital files have been formatted for both mobi and .epub. I have to say that I’m impressed with the professionalism and responsiveness of the e-Book Formatting Fairies. The first files had three minor errors in them, but I had the corrected files back just a few hours later. Bravo for great customer service!
- I’ve sent the book out to three author acquaintances who have agreed to give me cover quotes — yes, they totally rock! As soon as I have the quotes, the digital files will get a final update and the cover will have something to fill that lovely white space at the top that’s just waiting… 🙂
- I’m still waiting for an ISBN from Library and Archives Canada. It’s nice that the service is free, but if you’re a Canadian author, take note of the 5-10 business days (I’m currently sitting at eight) needed for a response. When I get the number, that will also be added to the digital files.
- I’m currently looking at the possibility of using Smashwords as vs. uploading to all the individual platforms myself. My concern is that Smashwords doesn’t support digital rights management (DRM). Before I decide whether or not that’s a problem, I’m going to have to knuckle under and figure out just what DRM means to an author and how having/not having it will affect me. Oh, joy…more research. 😉
- I’ve also looked into putting the book onto Netgalley to make it available to reviewers — and I’ve decided (despite the cost *gasp*) to go for it. So…if you’re a reviewer who’s interested, keep an eye out. 🙂
And that’s it for the moment, I think. It’s quite a journey, this self-publishing thing, but I feel as if I may be making progress. Stay tuned for more news of my travels and have a great week!